Saturday, February 09, 2008

Tribute to America

Every time I am less than pleased with America I watch this:



202 years (granted that this recording was made in 1985) of sheer and undiluted male pheromones! The epitome of popular (as opposed to gutter) culture.

These men had style!

I was a highwayman, along the coach roads I did ride,
With sword and pistol by my side.
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade.
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade.
The bastards hung me in the spring of twenty-five:
But I am still alive.

I was a sailor, I was born upon the tide.
And with the sea I did abide.
I sailed a schooner round the Horn to Mexico.
I went aloft and furled the mainsail in a blow.
And when the yards broke off, they said that I got killed:
But I am living still.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide;
Where steel and water did collide.
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado,
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below.
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound:
But I am still around.
I'll always be around...

I fly a starship across the Universe divide.
And when I reach the other side,
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can.
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again.
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain;
But I will remain.
And I'll be back again...
(Music and lyrics by Jimmy Webb.)


You will, guys!

And by the way: Britney and Paris are forgiven, America!

8 Comment(s):

Stephen Renico said...

Well, I'm not so sure I'm ready to go as far as forgiving Britney and Paris...

;-)

Evil Style Queen said...

I admit even the Highwaymen have a hard job making up for them. Sometimes it seems America has the best and the worst of everything. We just don't have anybody like that over here in Europe. Not even Victoria Beckham is quite as awful.

Stephen Renico said...

Amy Winehouse? Despite the Grammys she's a train wreck every bit as horrible as Britney.

Evil Style Queen said...

Goodness, I had to look up who Amy Winehouse is. That is a train wreck, not a woman.

Stephen Renico said...

Okay,

I'm anxiously awaiting more pictures and essays here. :-)

Evil Style Queen said...

Gosh, AM I off blogging for a while now, Stephen!

I think I've got to pull myself together or I'll vever do it again.

beakerkin said...

I am seeing a surprising number of Europeans emigrate to the USA at work. This may sound funny but the word they raise most often is taxation.

Some of these are just typical transnational love stories.

The new blog handle is very creative.

Evil Style Queen said...

Hi Beak and welcome here!

I am not at all surprised that taxation plays a major role for those who choose to emigrate from Europe. Taxation is more than a loss of money for the victims. It's the state looking in every nook and cranny of one's life and thus a loss of liberty.

Some EU member-states allow for -- relatively speaking -- much more creativity when it comes to tax declarations. Holland and the UK come to mind.