Murdering Wildlife.





May 2007, I passed the test for a shooting (hunting) license, mandatory in Germany for shooting itself and some things related to it, for example leading a gun dog in test. It varies considerably from federal state to federal state, but it's quite tough in any case. Saxony, where I live now, is known to be rather on the tough side. First, there is a 8 months course for the theory of shooting, including wildlife biology, forestry, legal aspects, technical aspects, handling and technological knowledge of weaponry, the lot. The crucial point for me was the shooting practice test. There were 16 of us and it started at the indoor shooting range, first with full-bore rifle shooting at the 100-meter range. We got five bullets and the minimum requirement was three hits in the rings. (This is an approximate likeness of the target.) For those interested, we had the choice between two Blaser R93 repeaters, one with 222Rem, the other with .30-06 calibre, both with a red dot rifle scope. I chose the 222Rem because of the recoil, respectively the relative lack of it, as did the other woman participating.

The second discipline was the running hare at about 30 meters. This is the best picture of such a range I could find online. The hare silhouette is made from steel and topples over when hit. (The effing thing is travelling pretty fast!) We had the choice between several guns, I chose a Brno (Czech) "over and under" gun. All the guns were not choked and we used regular hunting shot. We had to hit a minimum of three out of five shots.

The third discipline was the "running boar". Again this is the best picture of such a target I could find. Here, two hits out of five bullets were the minimum for passing the test. The "boar" isn't travelling as fast as the tin hare, but the shooting has to be much more precise. Again for those interested: The 222Rem calibre wouldn't be sufficient for real boar hunting. One would have to go for a bigger calibre.

In the afternoon, there was the trap shooting at a different range. I had the same Brünner gun. We had to hit a minimum of 4 clays to pass the test, two shots for each clay. After I had hit the required 5, the examiners mercyfully pulled me out because it was only too obvious that I could hardly stand on my feet anymore. I was neither the oldest, nor the only woman doing the test, but at an age where other women are taking their grandchildren for a walk, it was pretty tough. The best of the guys, who was, incidentally, the oldest participant, hit 14 out of the 15 clays. Must have been the nerves. He usually hit 15 out of 15. The top picture is from the actual shooting range.

Why did I do it? Initially to be able to work under rules with my terrier, but one gets involved with and fascinated by it very soon. It's more than a "sport", it's a way of life.